In terms of time savings and ability to create the most delicious meals, the air fryer is definitely one of the best modern kitchen appliances, second only to the super versatile Instant Pot.
The air fryer is an excellent tool if you want to save time and cleaning in the kitchen, but still have a crispy crunch.
In a variety of sizes, there is sure to be an air fryer that fits your requirements.
The waffle fry is one of the most popular snacks to make in an air fryer!
If you don’t want to eat the whole waffle fry, you can make it into nachos, chili-covered waffle fries, casseroles, and other tasty dishes.
In an air fryer, how to cook frozen waffle fries in an air fryer? In an air fryer, cook frozen waffle fries by preheating to 400°F, keeping the fries from sticking together, coating them in salt and cooking oil, then cooking for 15 minutes and flipping halfway through.
Discover how to prepare waffle fries using an air fryer with a fryer basket or an air fryer that has wire cooking racks.
How Does An Air Fryer Work?
You might be wondering how they manage to get such a crispy texture without having to use tons of oils if you’ve never used an air fryer before.
Hot air is used in these gadgets, which aren’t very complex, but they create the crispiness with the help of hot air.
Air fryers work by circulating hot air through the appliance, similar to a mini convection oven. Without tons of oil, the circling hot air creates a very crispy surface.
A deep fryer’s purpose is to make food crispy, but an air fryer’s instead involves minimal oil or fat.
Dry heat makes it possible for air fryers to produce lighter, fresher results than deep-frying.
Due to this, whatever you’re cooking will have a golden, crispy outside while keeping its center moist.
Air fryers may make your holiday gift list if you are a fan of deep-fried food, but aren’t a fan of greasy food and mess.
Do I Need To Thaw My Waffle Fries Before Cooking In An Air Fryer?
You can get that deep-fried taste without all the oil and mess with an air fryer because it’s a quick, easy, and convenient way. Can you put frozen waffle fries in an air fryer without thawing them first?
No, you don’t! Straight from the freezer into the air fryer you can take your waffle fries. If you wish to put your waffle fries in a fryer basket, I do suggest gently separating them to allow air to flow freely between them.
With airflow, your food becomes crispy without needing a lot of oil.
Step-By-Step Instructions To Cook Frozen Waffle Fries In An Air Fryer
Air fryers come in two main types and require slightly different cooking methods in order for frozen waffle fries to be crispy, crunchy, and delicious.
Select the appropriate cooking method below depending on whether you have an air fryer with a basket or one with racks.
How To Cook Waffle Fries In An Air Fryer Basket
Air fryer baskets make cooking waffle fries easy and fast.
- 1-2 pounds of fries
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil*
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- The air fryer should be preheated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Preheat can also be done with some air fryer models by hitting the Fries button.
- Add the waffle fries and oil to a mixing bowl and stir until coated. It’s okay if the oil doesn’t cover every fry when they’re frozen since you’ll shake them while they’re cooking.
- The waffle fries should be added to the basket once the air fryer has been heated for 15 minutes.
- When the waffle fries reach half way, take out the fryer basket and shake them. Then turn them over with a spatula.
- The remaining 7 and a half minutes will be spent cooking with a new fryer basket.
- When checking the crispiness of your fries, remove the basket from the fryer. Stir them again after 2-3 minutes, then put the basket back in the air fryer.
- Serve crisped waffle fries immediately with your favorite condiments, seasoning with additional salt if necessary.
- Air fryers crisp up waffle fries beautifully without the need for oil. However, I prefer to add a touch of oil for extra crunch. This ingredient can be skipped if you watch your oil intake.
How To Cook Waffle Fries On An Air Fryer Rack(s)
The quickest and easiest way to cook your frozen waffle fries is to use an air fryer with a cooking rack that looks like a mini oven.
- 1-2 pounds of waffle fries
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1/2 a teaspoon of salt
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Alternatively, you may use a model that has a Fries preset button. Pull out the wire baking trays from the fryer.
- Be sure to gently break up your waffle fries in the bag while they are still warm so that they are not stuck together in one big lump.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the waffle fries with half the cooking oil. Drizzle the remaining oil over the waffle fries after stirring so the tops of the fries come up.
- Stir the fries again after you sprinkle salt on them.
- Put your waffle fries on the wire trays in a single layer. To crisp up as much surface area of the fries as possible, leave some space between them if you can.
- The waffle fries should be in the air fryer for 7-8 minutes before they are flipped over.
- In the air fryer, return the wire baking trays. It may be a good idea to place the top shelf on the bottom shelf and vice versa for even cooking.
- Once the waffle fries have reached a crisp level, cook for an additional 7 minutes. Many of these models have a see-through door, so you can see if more cooking time is required after 7 minutes.
- If you prefer, season the waffle fries with more salt once they have been cooked to perfection and serve immediately with your favorite condiments.
- Leaving out the oil is fine if you prefer. You will still get a nice crisp waffle fry with an air fryer. The crispiness is improved with a little oil. As long as you have no concerns about your intake of oil, I recommend using it.
How To Make Waffle Fry Nachos
The perfect dish for any party, this recipe gives your waffle fries a whole new look!
- Waffle fries, 1-2 pounds
- Cooking oil, 1 tablespoon
- Half a teaspoon of sea salt
- A cup or two of shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- A half cup of meat or beans cooked in the oven
- 1/4 cup of pickled banana peppers or jalapenos
- Black olives, 1/4 cup
- Dice 1/2 small red onion finely
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- Cubed tomato, 1
- Cubed avocado, 1
- Sour cream
- Follow the directions above to prepare your waffle fries in your air fryer. When you top them with all the toppings, they will become super soggy if you don’t cook them first.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a parchment paper lined baking sheet while waffle fries are cooking.
- Cut your red onion, green onion, tomato, and avocado into bite-sized pieces and set them aside.
- Waffle fries should be spread out on your baking tin in a single layer after they have been cooked.
- Make sure the waffle fries are liberally covered with cheese. Adding the beef or beans, jalapenos and banana peppers, olives and red onions will make it taste even better..
- Serve the beef or beans along with olives, jalapenos, and banana peppers.
- The waffle fries will be ready when the cheese is melted and a little browned.
- Top the waffle fry nachos with avocado, tomato, and green onion after removing them from the oven. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
What Else Can You Use An Air Fryer For?
You don’t have to limit yourself to air-fried waffle fries! Aside from creating delicious meals and snacks, this machine is very useful in a variety of other ways.
A conventional oven takes much longer to heat up and cook your food than an air fryer, since it uses powerful convection technology.
Since the smaller air fryer heats up the kitchen more slowly and more effectively than a full-sized oven, you can save time and energy and keep your house cooler in the summer.
Take a look below at some great ideas for boosting your creativity in the kitchen.
Air Fry Vegetables
My favorite air fryer function is the reheat function. The best way to get crispy vegetables without using tons of oil is to roast them.
Air fryers are great for making delicious toaster oven treats, like potato wedges, squash bites, and hash browns.
Other grocery store staples such as broccoli, green beans and asparagus taste great when made with it.
No matter how much time you put into it or how much oil you use, you’ll get perfect results every single time. Most of these vegetables will be ready within 10 minutes. Adding salt will enhance their flavor.
Dehydrate Fruits And Vegetables
Dehydration functions are available on a lot of the newer air fryer models, which is ideal if you like to eat kale chips.
The ones I make in the oven always result in a burnt and soggy result, when I make them in the pan, they always turn out crispy and perfect. That’s not good.
Additionally, you can make homemade fruit roll-ups with fruit purees by using your air fryer.
You can also make tasty fruit snacks from the leftovers from your garden by dehydrating them. Strawberry, peach, mango, and blueberry dehydrators are my favorite.
Dehydrating zucchini chips was another discovery this summer. Every summer, there are always so many squash and nobody knows what to do with them.
My favorite way to dehydrate them is to dehydrate them almost throughly. After that, I’ll put them in a hot skillet and let them brown and crisp up for a few minutes. For movie night, these salty, crunchy, crisp snacks are ideal.
Dehydrate Excess Herbs
The herbs I grow like mint have worked quite well for me, despite my limited gardening skills.
I usually have too much fresh mint at the end of the season, more than I can use before it goes bad. An air fryer is the perfect solution.
Your air fryer can help you preserve excess herbs when the growing season ends.
You can dehydrate them instead of letting them go to waste, and enjoy a taste of the garden all winter.
Buying the fresh herbs from the grocery store for a recipe and knowing you won’t finish them before their expiration date also works. If you use the dehydrate setting on your air fryer, you can freeze them.
Use The Rotisserie Function To Cook Meats
I strongly recommend finding an air fryer that has a rotisserie function if you love eating rotisserie chickens.
My rotisserie chickens are always juicy, crispy, and the BEST that I have ever had.
Cooking sausages and prime ribs can also be done using this feature.
Another fun idea is to make glazed fruits with your rotisserie, such as pineapples, apples, pears, mangoes, and others.
These fruits’ natural sugars will caramelize as they cook, creating a decadent dessert that would be ideal for dipping in whipped cream, melted chocolate, or caramel.