Fast food restaurants, supermarkets, concession stands, and school cafeterias sell hot dogs, also known as frankfurters, in abundance across the country.
Hot dogs are historically regarded as an all-American snack, but the name frankfurter actually comes from Frankfurt in Germany, where they were originally produced!
Many families enjoy hot dogs during peak hot dog season when they’re grilled or grilled over an open fire.
You can also grill them on the stove if you are unable to get them from the above sources and do not want to go out. You will get that scrumptious char that makes them so delicious.
So, how do you grill hot dogs on the stove? Placing a pan over medium heat and adding a thin layer of water to it will help the water to evaporate. Cook the hot dogs until the water evaporates once the water boils. Add another pad of butter until the hot dogs are finished cooking.
Check out the easy process of grilling hot dogs on the stove and other ways to prepare them for a delicious and inexpensive meal!
How To Grill Hot Dogs On The Stove
How to grill the perfect hot dog in the microwave without causing them to become soggy, lacking flavor, or squeezing up:
- Cover the pan with only enough water to cover half of the surface over medium heat.
- Water should be brought to a boil.
- The next step is to cut the hot dogs diagonally and to place them on the heated pan. They will stay flat when cooked this way.
- After the water has boiled off completely, allow the hot dogs to steam.
- Then turn the hot dogs 90 degrees after adding 1 tablespoon of butter to each. Then cook all sides for one minute three times.
- Hot dogs will begin to blister during this process and take on a charred appearance, similar to what happens when they’re cooked over an open fire.
After that, you will be able to place buns on your hot dogs. Be less concerned if the sides aren’t the same color. The buns can be flavored with butter if you like.
Put the buns in the pan, buttered side down, and spread a little butter on the inside. Let them cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
Adding toppings at this stage is the simplest and most enjoyable part of the process, since your creativity will be unrestricted. Mustard, ketchup, onions, chili, slaw, relish, and pickles are popular choices.
Is Grilling The Best Way To Cook Hot Dogs?
You can cook hot dogs in a variety of ways, though grilling gives them a fantastic smoky flavor. Is it the best way? This is really a matter of personal preference and up for debate.
The process of grilling can be a bit challenging if you do not know what you’re doing.
Because the heat is hard to control, the outside of the hot dog will scorch before the inside reaches the right temperature, and no one wants a hot dog that is dried out and blackened.
Microwaves are another method people use to cook hot dogs quickly at home and, although they are fast, they do not provide the most accurate results.
Hot dogs may come out of microwaves at different temperatures, since microwaves disperse heat unevenly.
In addition to microwave cooking, you can poach, roast, broil, steam, and saute your hot dogs.
Can You Poach Hot Dogs?
It’s one of the easiest and best ways to cook hot dogs at a set temperature. This method uniformly warms hot dogs to 155 degrees, which results in juicy, succulent, and delicious hot dogs.
The following are the steps you need to follow to poach hot dogs without a sous vide machine:
- Bring a pot of water to a temperature of around 150°F-155°F over high heat. Check the temperature periodically with a thermometer.
- Reduce the heat when the ideal temperature is reached. You can add ice cubes to the water if it becomes too hot.
- In a saucepan, heat the hot dogs for 10 minutes, after which they will be the right temperature.
- It’s now time to serve the hot dogs in buns with condiments and toppings of your choice.
Only problem is that there are no colors, smokes, or seared surfaces with poaching. In short, they do not look appealing.
How can we proceed then? You can prepare your hot dogs by poaching and grilling them simultaneously.
If you wish, you can place the poached dogs on the grill to give them that much sought-after color.
Due to their optimum temperature, hot dogs just need a few seconds on the grill to cook. Ensure that the grill is hot enough when you do so.
Take them off the grill as soon as they get a nice char, before they have the chance to dry out. As a result, the poaching makes the hot dogs juicy and plump, while the grilling makes them lightly charred.
How To Cook Hot Dogs In The Oven
In an oven, hot dogs can be browned like you would on a grill, but the delicious juices are kept inside.
The following directions will help you make the perfect oven-roasted hot dog:
- The oven should be preheated to 400°F.
- Make cleanup easy with a folded piece of foil over a casserole dish, roasting pan, or even a baking tray. Use utensils with rims to catch juices.
- On the tray, arrange the hot dogs for 15 minutes in the oven.
- When you see the hot dogs begin to brown and curl, remove them immediately.
- The broiler can be turned on for even more crispiness.
- You can serve them hot or warm depending on your preference.
Here are a few questions regarding hot dogs you may have after reading about the best ways to cook them.
Are hot dogs and sausages the same?
Hot dogs are sausages, but sausages are not always hot dogs. As a result, hot dogs are a cross between a German sausage, a frankfurter, and a wiener, and are incredibly important to American culture.
In contrast, sausage refers to a combination of seasoned, spiced, fat, and preservatives fashioned into a tube.
In addition to American hot dogs, kielbasa (smoked sausage), mortadella (salami), and blood sausages are common types of sausages.
How do you properly store hot dogs?
Nearly all grocery stores sell hot dogs in various sizes and types. Among the most common types of hot dogs are the vacuum-sealed, pre-cooked ones.
Refrigerated hot dog packs unopened until their expiration date to extend their shelf life. After opening, the jars should be sealed in plastic bags and stored in the fridge.
You may wish to put them in the freezer for up to 6 months if you wish to prolong their shelf life.
Can you freeze cooked hot dogs?
If you have a big party or grilled hot dogs with friends, you’re likely to have leftovers, especially if you’ve cooked them in large amounts.
Are there any ways to preserve them? Should they be frozen? The answer is yes. Up to 4 months after cooking, cooked hot dogs keep their full flavor.
Hot dogs should be wrapped properly in airtight containers or bags to prevent freezer burn, which alters their texture.
To prevent food-borne illnesses when thawed and served, the cooked hot dogs must be frozen within two hours of cooking.
Frozen foods do not kill bacteria, but they are kept from spreading. To prevent ice from forming, do not leave cooked hot dogs out too long before freezing.