Interested in knowing whether sea moss tea is really as beneficial as it’s been touted as?
There certainly aren’t any guarantees with some of the benefits you hear about, but sea moss tea does contain some great nutrients your body can use.
Most people make sea moss tea out of gel rather than actual sea moss because it is fairly easy to make.
By blending spices along with tea gel, you can make some unique tea recipes. Alternatively, you can buy sea moss tea bags.
What exactly is sea moss tea? Irish sea moss is used to make sea moss tea. A seaweed supplement that contains beneficial nutrients, it is commonly used as a dietary supplement. Most commonly, it can be found in the form of a gel, but it can also occur in its natural form.
This guide will describe sea moss tea in much more detail, including a recipe as to how to make it yourself.
Our discussion will focus on the benefits that sea moss can provide, as well as its nutrients.
Find out how you can make sea moss tea in the following article!
Sea Moss Tea Explained
Let’s take a deeper look at sea moss tea after we explained briefly what it is in our introduction. Sea moss gel or sea moss moss are used for making sea moss tea.
It is easy to find sea moss gel since it is derived from the extract of sea moss.
Many things that you may not know about sea moss are made from it. In baking products and some cosmetics, it can be found, too.
It is added to soups, sauces, smoothies, and stews. The reason we’re here is that tea is another popular sea moss creation.
Sea Moss Tea Benefits
In the sea moss tea industry, there are many benefits claimed, but we don’t want to focus on things we can’t really guarantee.
Among other things, you might hear it marketed as a weight-loss supplement, but we don’t want to make such claims here.
Rather, we are interested in the nutrition that sea moss provides. Our bodies benefit greatly from sea moss, which is filled with nutrients and minerals.
While you can obtain many of these minerals and nutrients from other foods, sea moss tea boasts the highest concentration.
These are some interesting facts concerning sea moss.
- Sea moss contains a lot of protein
- Iron is abundant in sea moss
- 90% of the nutrients needed for health can be found in sea moss
- Immune health may be improved by sea moss
In addition to providing a boost to the immune system, sea moss is known for offering other health benefits. These include its high nutritional value.
In addition to being extremely nutrient-rich, sea moss also comes in a very low-calorie form. Approximately 5 calories are contained in 2 tablespoons of sea moss.
Sea moss is known to contain some of the following nutrients. Using a little bit makes a big difference!
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B2
Sea Moss Tea Recipe
Let’s talk about making sea moss tea now that you understand the benefits sea moss may offer.
Sea moss certainly can be used in smoothies, however, remember that a little bit goes a long way, so don’t overdo it.
In addition to its many health benefits, sea moss also contains dense nutrition. However, there are limits to how much you can consume, so always be mindful of portions and don’t overdo it with the hope that your body will benefit from it.
To make sea moss tea, there are a couple of different methods. It’s really good how some of the recipes mix the flavors so well. Additionally, any of the recipes can be made using sea moss or sea moss gel.
Gel is easier to use and find, so we recommend it.
Here are the 3 main types of sea moss tea you will find:
- Basic sea moss tea
- Spicy Irish sea moss tea
- Jamaican sea moss tea
Each of these can be easily accomplished with a recipe.
For those who need to buy sea moss gel before we get into the recipes, here is one of the best.
Infinite Age Organic Irish Sea Moss Gel
There are no additives, preservatives, fillers, or binders in this sea moss gel since it is made with wild ingredients. To make tea, you measure out a portion of the 16 ounces of gel to use as needed.
In addition to using alkaline water to create the gel, this company doesn’t use fillers. Only sea moss and alkaline water are listed in the ingredients list.
Located in the USA, the company was founded in 1997. Coastal or North American sea moss is used.
Basic Sea Moss Tea Recipe
In its simplest form, sea moss or sea moss gel and water are used in sea moss tea. The flavor of just sea moss and water may not be to everyone’s taste, but it is the most straightforward.
On the other hand, if you want an easy, quick, and effective solution, this might be the best option for you.
Make sea moss tea with these simple steps.
- Start by boiling your water. Depending on your stove, the process may take a little longer or shorter.
- Add a serving of sea moss gel to the water. Generally, for sea moss tea, one part of sea moss gel should be mixed with four parts of water.
- Boiling water can either be added directly to the cup or the gel can be added to the boiling water.
- Serve or drink after mixing well.
It has a very subtle taste and is pretty mild. Those are the reasons other recipes are popular.
Spicy Irish Sea Moss Tea Recipe
Following is sea moss tea, which is one of the most popular. Recipes like this one are a favorite among fans because they combine chai tea flavors, which are a popular tea flavor. The taste is soothing, but energizing at the same time.
This recipe is for a home-made version, but if you don’t want to go that route, you can add sea moss gel to chai tea to obtain a similar effect.
Here are your steps.
- In order to make this at home, you need black tea leaves, dark agave, honey, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, Nigella seeds, fenugreek seeds, cinnamon quill, cloves, bay leaf (crushed), ginger root, anise, cardamom, cocoa, caraway seeds, and peppercorn.
- It’ll take a couple of weeks to mix all of these ingredients together. A fermentation process is necessary in order to pull the flavors together.
- You can begin the actual tea making process once you have a blend ready for use.
- Stir the chai tea blend into a pot of boiling water. Make sure the sea moss gel is not boiled with the tea mix.
- Simmer the water for about 5 minutes after it comes to a boil.
- Pour a teaspoon of sea moss gel directly into your cup. As well as adding milk or sweetener directly to your cup, you can also add any other ingredients that you prefer.
- Strain the tea and then combine it with the gel and sweeteners that you also added to your mug.
- Enjoy it after you mix it up!
If you make your tea from scratch, this can be a lengthy process. Alternatively, if you prefer not to make your own chai, you can use a chai tea bag. The choice is yours!
Jamaican Sea Moss Tea
Last but not least, we have another recipe for sea moss tea. Definitely worth trying, if you like a hint of sweetness in your drinks.
It’s easy to make and takes no time to ferment as does tea made from scratch.
Making Jamaican sea moss tea is as simple as following these steps.
- A few things you need are Irish sea moss gel, water, coconut cream, cloves, ginger root, nutmeg, and cinnamon quill.
- The sea moss gel should not be added yet. Mix your ingredients with the water. Cloves and nutmeg are the most prominent flavors in this blend, so you can adjust them according to your tastes.
- Everything should be boiled together for about 20-30 minutes. So if you do not like it very strong, you can reduce your simmering time if you do not like it really strong.
- Add a teapot or some other pouring device to your sea moss gel. Once it has been boiled, mix it in the teapot. If you wish, you may strain the water before mixing.
- Pour the mixture into a serving bowl and serve!
You can easily adapt this blend to suit your own preferences. There’s nothing like the taste of Jamaica’s beaches when you’re thirsty.
Sea Moss Tea Bags
The recipes above can all be followed. Add Irish sea moss gel to whichever style or blend of tea you prefer.
It’s popular to use tea, but you’re adding gel to your own creation, so feel free to use anything you like.
It’s just important with sea moss that you do not use a sugary tea that won’t provide you with the benefits you need.
As an alternative, you can purchase the tea bags that are pre-made and make the tea that way!
If you’re looking for a good option, this one is amazing.
Terra Vita Irish Moss Tea, 25 Tea Bags
A simple, unflavored Irish sea moss tea makes this first option. Tea bags are included, so you can prepare it immediately. There are no flavors in it, so you can flavor it with what you like.
Sea moss is used to make this premium tea, which does not contain any additives or flavorings. I will make a mild sea moss tea recipe similar to how I shared above.
As a final note, sea moss tea is a great source of nutrients and minerals. It is important not to overuse this tea since too much of a good thing can be dangerous.
Sea moss is an easy ingredient to use in many different recipes, including tea.