Don’t miss out if you’ve never tasted rice pudding. Served in many variations across the world, this rice dish is made with milk, spices, and rice. You can easily make it, enjoy eating it, and digest it easily.
In many recipes, rice pudding is made in large batches, so you may end up with a lot of leftovers that you won’t be able to consume before they go bad.
If you have leftover rice pudding, you might wonder if it can be frozen with a view to storing it for a longer period of time.
Is rice pudding freezer-friendly? It’s certainly possible. It is best stored in a tightly sealed freezer bag or storage container and then used within about 3 months for best results. However, the taste and quality may diminish over time.
Check out this article to learn how to make the perfect rice pudding from scratch, how to freeze it for long-term storage, and how long to keep it in the fridge before it goes bad.
What Is Rice Pudding?
The comfort of a bowl of warm rice pudding cannot be overstated. I highly recommend that you give this delicious dish a try if you have never tried it before. Simple, delicious, and deceptively easy to make.
Rice pudding is made in many variations around the world, and it is both sweet and savory. In this article, we’ll show you how to make rice pudding, the most common dessert.
Rice pudding in its simplest form is made with rice, milk, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, and raisins.
Can You Freeze Rice Pudding?
You might wonder whether you can freeze leftover rice pudding for long-term storage if you want to make a big batch to always have some on hand when you need a little comfort food.
Rice pudding is incredibly freezer-friendly since it breaks down the starch during cooking and maintains a consistent texture and taste. The best results will be achieved if you use the leftovers within 3 months of freezing.
Even though rice pudding can be frozen longer than three months, it will lose its freshness. If you leave it in there for too long, it can also lose flavor and become freezer burnt. Keep your rice pudding fresh by labeling it and using it within three months.
How Long Does Rice Pudding Last In The Freezer?
Rice pudding tastes best when eaten within three months of being frozen. You can probably extend the shelf life beyond 3 months, but the taste and texture may change.
How To Freeze Rice Pudding Properly
The following steps will help you freeze your rice pudding properly. Taking shortcuts may reduce the quality of the final product or affect how long your rice pudding lasts in the freezer.
Don’t cut corners so you can reap the benefits of your efforts months from now.
Steps To Freeze Rice Pudding:
- Rice pudding should be allowed to cool completely. You may want to refrigerate it for a few hours before you start freezing.
- You or your family should be able to consume your leftover rice pudding in one or two sittings. This is because you’ll have to thaw everything and eat it within two days if you don’t freeze it all at once.
- Rice pudding can be stored in airtight freezer bags.
- Be sure you remove all the air from freezer bags before you seal them. It is possible for the bag to burn if it contains any air. You need to leave some space for expansion so don’t fill it all the way.
- Use plastic wrap to protect the rice pudding from freezer burn if you are storing it in containers. A space of one inch should be left at the top to accommodate expansion.
- A permanent marker and masking tape are needed. Then attach it to the freezer bag or container with the date and content written on the tape.
- It might seem silly to do this, but I’m sure you’ll remember what you’ve frozen when you need it. Eventually, everything will blend together. Putting a date on your rice pudding is better to be safe.
- You should enjoy the rice pudding within 3 months of freezing the containers.
How Long Does Rice Pudding Last In The Fridge?
Whenever you make rice pudding in bulk, you will have leftovers that will keep for 4-5 days in the fridge. Because rice pudding can also be used as a delicious breakfast, it makes a great batch-cooking option.
For those busy mornings, portion out enough rice pudding for 4 days and top it with fruit, coconut, nuts, and seeds for a delicious, filling breakfast that’s easy to grab and go.
This can be enjoyed either chilled or warmed, depending on your preference.
Also, learn about how Can You Freeze Gumbo?
How To Store Rice Pudding In The Fridge
Rice pudding can either be stored in a large container or in individual servings, depending on the space in your fridge.
Using multiple containers will require you to repeat the steps several times.
Steps To Properly Store Rice Pudding In The Fridge:
- It is best to let the rice pudding cool to room temperature before serving. Alternatively, you can stir it every few minutes on a baking sheet so it releases heat and steam.
- Rice pudding can be cooled in one large airtight container or portioned out into several smaller containers as it cools.
- Keep the rice pudding fresh by covering it gently with plastic wrap, and pressing it down gently to eliminate air pockets.
- Seal your container(s) and secure the lids with masking tape.
- Keep the lids in the fridge with the date and contents written on them. You can use these labels to decide whether the food is still good when you clean out your fridge.
- Within 4-5 days, you can enjoy your rice pudding. The dish can be eaten chilled or reheated on the stovetop or in the microwave. Adding your favorite fruits and nuts will make this a delicious treat.
Basic Rice Pudding Recipe
- White rice, 1/2 cup. It is most common to use short grains, however, any grain will do.
- Add 2.5 cups of whole milk, coconut milk, or non-dairy milk
- Salt to taste
- Egg: 1
- You may use white, brown, honey, or maple syrup (I prefer maple) in place of 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Vanilla extract, 1 tsp
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- A quarter – the third cup of dried cranberries, raisins, currants, or blueberries
- To make the rice, combine it with the milk and sea salt in a medium saucepan.
- Stir the hot contents of the saucepan frequently until the contents are bubbling gently. The pot can be covered between stirrings.
- Rice should be tender after 25-30 minutes.
- You can whisk the maple syrup, egg, and honey (or white, or brown sugar) together in a small mixing bowl. Stir about a teaspoon of the rice mixture at a time into the egg mixture until fully incorporated.
- Stir the egg and sugar mixture into the rice and milk over low heat (do not let it boil or it will curdle the egg). You can continue to cook the rice for another five to ten minutes once the rice is fully incorporated.
- Serve the pudding with cinnamon, vanilla, and raisins (or any other dried fruit of your choosing).
- Depending on your preference, rice pudding can be served either warm or chilled.
It’s easy to make rice pudding, which is endlessly customizable. This dish is delicious warm, chilled, sweet or savory, plain or topped with nuts and fruit of your choice. There is something comforting about each bowl and it is delicious too.
Several days worth of rice pudding can be stored in the refrigerator, so you can make it ahead and eat it for several days. If you choose to store it in the freezer, it can be enjoyed up to 3 months later.
Make sure you divide the food into portions before you freeze it to prevent it from being thawed and refrozen. Rice pudding is one of your favorite desserts, but how do you enjoy it? We’d love to hear from you!