A boiled egg is a healthy, tasty snack. These are easy to make and take only 10 minutes to prepare.
Imagine if we told you there was a better way to make boiled eggs that was more convenient and faster? Boiled eggs can be made in your microwave! It makes sense, doesn’t it?
The question is, how can you hard boil eggs in a microwave? Poking holes in the eggshell or simmering the egg in salt water can be used to boil eggs in a microwave. In a microwave, you can boil eggs by placing them in a cup or bowl with salted water and heating them for 1-2 minutes, depending on how many eggs you are cooking.
For more details on these methods, keep reading!
Why Should You Consider Making Boiled Eggs In The Microwave?
It is just as healthy and delicious to boil eggs in a microwave as it is to boil them over the stove. Using a microwave instead of a stovetop is a good idea for many reasons:
- In a microwave, eggs can be boiled more quickly.
- The nutrients in microwaved eggs are retained better. Because microwaving takes so little time, the eggs are exposed to less heat than they would be on a stove, which allows them to retain more nutrients.
- Microwaves use less energy when making boiled eggs.
- Making eggs in the microwave doesn’t require constant attention.
Microwave-baked eggs make a healthy, delicious snack that is easy and quick to prepare.
Best Methods To Make Boiled Eggs In Microwave
Whatever method you choose to use to cook boiled eggs, the basic steps are pretty much the same. In order to get perfect boiled eggs, you have to take certain steps.
It is impossible to skip some steps unless you want runny, overcooked eggs. A failure to follow these steps can also cause the eggs to explode when they are being microwaved.
Here are some microwave hard-boiled egg recipes:
1. Boil Eggs with Salt Water
By heating salted water in the microwave, hard-boiled eggs can be prepared easily. In this way, they won’t explode inside your microwave.
Here are the steps to do so:
- Microwave-safe containers should be used for storing the eggs.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to the container and warm water. It depends on how many eggs you want to boil how much water and salt you should add. The amount of salt needed for one egg is one teaspoon. When boiling more than one egg at a time, you may need to add more salt.
- In the microwave, salt helps prevent eggs from exploding. The simplest way to ensure that your eggs don’t explode inside the microwave is to simply add some salt to the water.
- Hard boiled eggs are made by heating them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes based on how many eggs you want to boil. Microwave your eggs for no longer than two minutes to avoid overheating them.
- A microwave should be able to boil an egg in about a minute and a half.
- The time it takes to boil two eggs will be about 2-3 minutes.
- In less than five minutes, four eggs can be boiled together.
- 6-7 minutes should be enough for boiling six eggs together.
2. Poke Holes Into the Egg
You can also poke holes in boiled eggs to prevent overheating and explosion in a microwave. To do so, follow these steps:
- Pour warm water into a container that can be microwavable.
- The eggs should be gently poked at the bottom to make a hole. While the egg is being heated, a hole is poked into the shell so that air can enter. You might end up blowing out the egg if you don’t take any steps to stop it from overheating.
- Poke a hole in the egg’s shell with a fork or knife. Rather than poking holes in the yolk, you can poke holes into the eggs after cracking them in a mug. You don’t want to force the egg to crack. Alternatively, two or three holes can also be pierced if you feel one hole is insufficient.
- For information on how long to heat eggs in a microwave, read the points in the previous section!
3. Boil the Egg in A Mug
Boiling eggs in a mug can be used to make scrambled eggs, as well as for other recipes. By scrambling the eggs and whisking them, you can also check the consistency to make sure they are not overcooked.
To boil eggs in a mug by using the microwave, follow these steps:
- Microwave-safe mugs should be greased. Grease can be made from butter or pork fat.
- Fill the mug with the cracked egg. You can poke the yolk a few times with a fork or knife. In this way, the egg can be heated with air inside. The egg can explode inside the microwave if it is overheated and there is no vent for air to flow.
- You should boil an egg for approximately one minute 30 seconds to one minute 45 seconds. In a microwave, you run the risk of overcooking an egg if you cook it for more than 2 minutes.
- It is also important to check on the eggs every 10 seconds to avoid overcooking. Then you’ll know how long to microwave the eggs.
Microwave Vs Stove
Eggs boiled over a stove differ in a few ways from eggs microwaved. The flavors, colors, consistency, time it takes to prepare, and nutrition are included.
The density of eggs that are microwaved is usually higher than that of eggs that are boiled on the stove.
The water they simmer in also retains some of the heat. They have a different consistency than traditional boiled eggs because of this.
Despite their fluffier texture, stove-cooked eggs are often used for scrambled eggs and other recipes. Cheese can help microwaved eggs become fluffy and more flavorful.
Color And Flavor
If you boil them properly, it is hard to tell the difference between microwaved and stove-cooked eggs.
In contrast, microwaved egg yolks appear slightly lighter than boiled eggs prepared in the traditional manner. Microwaved eggs are not undercooked or unsafe to consume.
Traditional methods of boiling eggs on a stove may seem unhealthy. However, the opposite is true. It is healthier to microwave eggs than to boil them on the stove.
Microwaved eggs are heated for a shorter period compared with stovetop eggs. In comparison to eggs that are boiled on the stove, it allows them to lose fewer nutrients in the process.
Microwaves are faster than stoves for boiling eggs.
Boiling an egg in a microwave takes no less than two minutes. It takes no more than 5-6 minutes to boil four eggs together in a microwave.
How To Prevent Microwave Eggs From Exploding
Breakfast exploding isn’t a good idea, is it? The following mistakes can cause your eggs to explode in the microwave:
1. Poke A Hole In The Egg’s Shell
In a microwave, the egg shell is put under pressure as it heats. The eggs will continue to be under pressure as long as they are heated. An egg can explode when this happens.
You can avoid this by poking a hole in the shell. A fork can be used for this. To make sure you don’t crack the egg, poke 2-3 holes if one does not seem enough.
2. Add A Teaspoon Of Salt To The Boiling Water
Probably the easiest way to prevent your egg from exploding is to do this. You can prevent breaking the eggs by adding salt to the water where you boil the eggs.
3. Avoid Overcooking The Eggs
An overheated egg can happen when it is heated above its boiling point. An overheated egg may overpressure the shell, rather than boil.
Keeping an eye on the eggs every 30 seconds is the best way to prevent this. In this way, you can stop cooking the eggs when they appear ready.
4. Make The Eggs In A Mug
When it comes to preventing the egg from breaking, it is best to do it yourself. In other words, you can cook eggs in mugs as well.
Put an egg in a mug and crack it. Before you use the mug, lightly grease it with butter.
Microwaving eggs eliminates the risk of them popping.
A fork or knife can also be used to pierce the yolk so that air can enter while it is being heated. Using a mug to boil eggs is perfect for making scrambled eggs, salad, or scrambled eggs in general.
How To Know When Microwaved Eggs Are Ready
The yolk on microwaved eggs will tell you if they’ve been properly cooked. You have not fully boiled the eggs if the yolk is too soft and runny.
Remove your microwaved eggs from the microwave if they seem to be near completion. Heat them up again is not necessary. While you might not be able to see it, microwaves generate quite a bit of heat in the egg interior.
It is best to leave the eggs to cool after being heated in the microwave. To make them firm, cut them in half.
Putting the eggs back into the microwave and heating them again after removing their shells is fine if they look undercooked after you have removed their shells.
At first, heat the eggs only for 10 seconds to avoid overcooking them. If they still look too soft, heat them for 10 seconds more.
If you want to ensure that more air gets into the yolk of the egg while heating, you can pierce the yolk.
As we’ve already discussed how microwaves can be used to cook eggs, let’s look at some related questions!
How long does it take eggs to boil in a microwave?
The cooking time of a single egg in a microwave is approximately 1 minute 30 seconds. If you are heating just one egg in a microwave, you should not exceed two minutes.
Microwave two eggs for no more than five minutes when you boil them together.
Can I boil 2 eggs in the microwave?
In a microwave, you can cook two eggs at the same time. In a microwave, 4 eggs can be boiled together. It will take longer in your microwave to heat up eggs that have been boiled together.
Can I make scrambled eggs in the microwave?
Microwave scrambled eggs are possible. Remove the eggs from the heat and scramble them after 30 seconds. To get the consistency that you desire, heat them again for about 30 seconds.
Can I make soft-boiled eggs in the microwave?
Microwave-baked eggs are possible. Microwaved hard-boiled eggs are prepared exactly as they are for hard-boiled eggs.
It just takes a few minutes to let them cool in cold water after you take the eggs out of the microwave, and you will not see any difference over hard boiled eggs.